Tuesday, May 12, 2009

12 May

Chapter 3 con't.
Jonathan Harker's Journal

Later.—I endorse the last words written, but this time there is no doubt in question. I shall not fear to sleep in any place where he is not. I have placed the crucifix over the head of my bed, I imagine that my rest is thus freer from dreams, and there it shall remain.

When he left me I went to my room. After a little while, not hearing any sound, I came out and went up the stone stair to where I could look out towards the South. There was some sense of freedom in the vast expanse, inaccessible though it was to me, as compared with the narrow darkness of the courtyard. Looking out on this, I felt that I was indeed in prison, and I seemed to want a breath of fresh air, though it were of the night. I am beginning to feel this nocturnal existence tell on me. It is destroying my nerve. I start at my own shadow, and am full of all sorts of horrible imaginings. God knows that there is ground for my terrible fear in this accursed place! I looked out over the beautiful expanse, bathed in soft yellow moonlight till it was almost as light as day. In the soft light the distant hills became melted, and the shadows in the valleys and gorges of velvety blackness. The mere beauty seemed to cheer me. There was peace and comfort in every breath I drew. As I leaned from the window my eye was caught by something moving a storey below me, and somewhat to my left, where I imagined, from the order of the rooms, that the windows of the Count's own room would look out. The window at which I stood was tall and deep, stone-mullioned, and though weatherworn, was still complete. But it was evidently many a day since the case had been there. I drew back behind the stonework, and looked carefully out.

What I saw was the Count's head coming out from the window. I did not see the face, but I knew the man by the neck and the movement of his back and arms. In any case I could not mistake the hands which I had had some many opportunities of studying. I was at first interested and somewhat amused, for it is wonderful how small a matter will interest and amuse a man when he is a prisoner. But my very feelings changed to repulsion and terror when I saw the whole man slowly emerge from the window and begin to crawl down the castle wall over the dreadful abyss, face down with his cloak spreading out around him like great wings. At first I could not believe my eyes. I thought it was some trick of the moonlight, some weird effect of shadow, but I kept looking, and it could be no delusion. I saw the fingers and toes grasp the corners of the stones, worn clear of the mortar by the stress of years, and by thus using every projection and inequality move downwards with considerable speed, just as a lizard moves along a wall.

What manner of man is this, or what manner of creature, is it in the semblance of man? I feel the dread of this horrible place overpowering me. I am in fear, in awful fear, and there is no escape for me. I am encompassed about with terrors that I dare not think of.

7 comments:

Serf in my own domain said...

I apologize for being crude, but if I was Harker, I would have just peed myself.

zanna said...

Probably the atmosphere felt so unnatural that even physical fear melted into some kind of horrified feeling of disbelief.

Dave Przy said...

It's not clear to me if the count is climbing down the wall headfirst or what. Anyone have an interpretation?

Unknown said...

Harker, dude, ask him to teach you how to do that... then crawl the heck down your own castle wall... 'cuz you know this ain't getting better for you.

Brion Emde said...

> "...begin to crawl down the castle wall over the dreadful abyss, face down with his cloak spreading out around him like great wings."

Harker sees him face-down (upside down) and his cloak is all hanging around his head and down. Harker can see his whole body, presumably, but not his head.

Unknown said...

it does say he's climbing down like a lizard, and lizards generally go headfirst, right?

Matthew Slepin said...

Just another one saying this is great and subscribed.

Also, some folks were discussing music in earlier posts. I'm quite liking listening to the soundtrack to Bram Stoker's Dracula while reading. I can't imagine why. :)